Monday 28 August 2023

Jet-Lagged Maths and Beachy FOMO...

Alexis from Schitt's Creek is packing a suitcase. It's overfull, with clothes spilling out, and the room around her is a mess.
Real life scenes
from my house
Hi there. You've caught me in a tizz. Because of rampant excitement, I've packed my suitcase, a full seven days before I go on holiday. This means I'm left wearing  - let's just call them - my more dishevelled clothes. I'm still trying to edit up a storm before I go, and I'm still tired from staying up till the early hours of Friday for T***p's mugshot. It's been all go.

Dwight, from the American Office is looking dead behind the eyes. The caption reads, "Monday Already.''
No one will care a jot about this, but it's important to me. Ready? Cool. Because the truth is, I've posted this blog every Monday morning since the end of 2016. Religiously. I refuse to miss a week now. If I've managed it on Christmas morning and my birthday, I'm not going to be derailed by a little summer break. But it does mean that going away is tricky. I have to write something in advance and I need the ability to post, wherever I am. Normally, my few days in Wales or Scotland aren't spoilt by this. I can post the blog, link to it on my socials, and the rest of the Monday is my own. Easy. This time, however, it's trickier. There are flights and time differences to deal with. I need to make sure the blog is published after midnight on Monday UK time. Then I have to post it on my socials at 11am. (Disclaimer: It probably won't be 11am.) Those are the rules. That means getting up at an unnatural time, and counting on my fingers whilst battling jet lag. Tired maths is never good. 

So enjoy this blog. If you're reading it, it means I counted right, my tiredness didn't win, and I found a working WiFi connection. Hurrah for perseverance and endeavour! Hurrah for us all!

Writing News
I've got more young people reading my manuscript this week. How marvellous. This time, they're taking more of a 'sensitivity reader' approach; ensuring I'm not making any major gaffes in the way I'm depicting some of the characters' experiences. (This article explains more about that, if you're interested.) Being a middle-aged, white, cisgendered, straight(ish) woman, even with a gapingly open mind like my own (lolz) only goes so far. It's handy to get some other perspectives. 

Miranda from series one of And Just Like That, is listening to someone of camera. She looks confused, blinks a couple of times, then nods anyway.
The face I make when any
of the characters in And Just
Like That
 do anything.
Culture
Because I listen to the podcast, They Like To Watch, I heard a recommendation for Deadloch. It's an Australian murder mystery, but with a heavy dose of dark humour thrown in. It's great. Funny and gripping. Find it on Amazon Prime. Then, I've finished hate-watching And Just Like That. How did the Sex and the City characters go from being aspirational older-sister figures, in my twenties, to snobby, entitled, fuddy duddies, in my forties. I've despaired of every choice the writers have made. And yet, just like that, I've watched every single week. Sigh.

A large frying pan is on a gas hob. It has green veg (broccoli, green beans, and coriander) with all the edges blackened and charred.
Broccoli, green beans,
 and coriander. 
Food and Drink
After reading an Ella Rusbridger recipe a few weeks ago, I've become obsessed with charring veggies. (I know. But there are way worse ways to spend your time.) Now, when I cook stirfry veg, I char it in soy and sesame oil for about 15 minutes. Just in the frying pan, but making sure I don't move the veg around. I put a lid on so the steam stops them properly burning, but they're just on the edge of being utterly fragged. That way, when they're eventually coated in the sauce (usually something comprising gochujang, honey, soy, and white wine vinegar) their burnished taste makes the whole thing soooooo much better. Trust me.

It's a beach. Lots of sand, and a grey sky that looks like rain. In the far distance, where the tide is, there are some little dots. They're the my nieces and nephews. In the picture, they're just specks.
A communal cousin paddle
Out and About
I had an impromptu trip to the seaside last week. My siblings with kids were congregating at my parent's bit of coastline, so the little ones could have a communal cousin paddle. I saw a few photos on WhatsApp, got raging FOMO, so bombed down the A55 for a couple of hours. I missed the beach - the rain had kicked in by then - but the pot of tea in the cafe, and the ice cream on the drizzly front, was marvellous. 

Whatever you're doing, wherever you are, I hope you're having a good one. It's nearly September, gang. Time to get a new pencil case and check your uniform still fits.

Have a lovely week, folks 

2 comments:

  1. I’ll be giving Deadloch a watch. Sounds right up my street.

    ReplyDelete