Monday 18 July 2022

Desperately Seeking Aircon...

Blanche from the Golden Girls is standing in the kitchen and sprays herself with water from a plant spray because she is so hot.
Oomph, the HEAT. Innit warm? Today's forecast tells me we'll be uncomfortably over 30℃ this afternoon. How shit. Yeah, that's right. I'm not mincing my words on this one. I've already decided I'm hitting the cinema as soon as this is posted. I don't care what's on. The fact I've not been fussed with the listings recently, pales into insignificance when the alternative is to sweat buckets at my desk, urging my brain to work against its will. Sod that. I'll watch any old nonsense if there's aircon. Stand by for next week's Culture paragraph, where I list crap films that cooled me down. Or something.

James McEvoy sits at a desk, visibly sweaty, fanning himself with some papers.
Writing News
I can't lie. This weather doesn't help. Give me a finite task like writing this blog post, or making up a name for a minor character, and it's fine. The heat makes no difference to the output. But give me a task like creating whole paragraphs from scratch out of my head, and it becomes impossible. I'm plodding on, just. Neither speedily nor impressively, I'm keeping at it. Hey ho. I'll get there in the end. When it's cooler.

Beth Mead in her England kit, is cheering to the crowd from the pitch after the full time whistle.
Beth Mead is having a
spectacular tournament.
Culture
The Women's Euros continue to be fantastic. England's 8-0 win last week (against a normally decent Norwegian side) showed just what the team are capable of. And I am here for it. All eyes on Wednesday when they meet Spain in the quarter finals. When the football's not on, I've been rewatching old nineties films. Mainly with my eyes half-closed incase they no longer hold up. So far, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, Analyse This, and Analyse That have been ticked off the list. It's been a Robert De Niro-centric time. My conclusion? They're all still funny in places, but Lordy, there are way too many jokes about Meet the Parents' Greg being a nurse. It's not cool now, but was it even then? Bloody nineties.

A gif of a pizza base being covered in salad leaves.
Salad pizza ticks all the boxes.
Food and Drink
The heat means I've swung between eating lots of salad, and deciding it's too hot to make salad and ordering pizza. The salad to pizza spectrum is shorter than you think. There have also been regular Cornettos and Feasts.

Out and About
I had Thursday night beers with a mate in St. Helens. Two bottles of Prosecco got seen off (on a school night!) and there was bonding over shots with a nearby-seated woman. Larks! Then there was Sunday brunch in Childwall (too hot to make toast at home) and an aircon-filled, aimless drive around South Liverpool. I'll do literally anything as long as there's a chilly breeze in my face.

It can't last forever. It's not even supposed to last the week. May the aircon be with you, wherever you are, and may you chill out in whatever creative ways you find.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment