Monday 11 April 2022

Busy Business, Fancy Food, and Panicked Post...

A woman is looking to her side and eyeing something off camera, up and down.
She's just seen a kid
with a Lindt bunny.
Morning, and I hope you're enjoying the run up to Easter/the long weekend/the coldest of all the bank holidays - insert your own description of choice. As I get older,
I try to rein in any instinctive urges I have to judge others. If no one's getting hurt, it's my job to curtail my mental commentary on the supposed rights and wrongs of other people's decisions. I realise, however, I'm in full judgy cow mode when I see kids eating Easter eggs before Easter. What happened to delayed gratification? Surely they need to be taught some things are worth the wait? If you eat Easter eggs before Easter, they're just sickly chocolate orbs - make it make sense! That being said, I found myself hoovering up a bag of dark chocolate Dime eggs in the week, and they were exquisite. 

Writing News
It's a funny old week, writing wise. I've done frig all. This tends to be the problem when real life gets in the way. It was same during the first lockdown. My head was so filled with the uncertainty of the world, I found it hard to sink into my imagination and make up stuff that other people were doing. It's not lockdown this time, but the business I'm involved with. It's all systems go with solicitors and paperwork and deadlines that keep moving. With that going on in the background, Leeza McAuliffe and her latest family shenanigans have been pushed out of the picture. Not for long, though. It should be sorted soon and my writing head will come back with a vengeance. 

There is a book cover showing the character of Hercule Poirot's walking away, with his shadow forming the shape of a question mark. The cover has the following information -  Agatha Christie Poirot, the greatest detective in the world,  by Mark Aldridge. The foreword is by Mark Gatiss.
Culture
I got a cracking book for my birthday. Agatha Christie's Poirot: The Greatest Detective in the World by Mark Aldridge. If you're even a slight fan of the detective, this book's a fab read. I'm doing it cover to cover but it's a handy dip-in-able reference guide to all the stories he appears in. Basically, well good. Then, in extremely last minute plans, I saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch in Leeds on Friday night. It was glorious and I'm still thinking about it every single minute. It comes to Manchester in a couple of weeks and I imagine I'll be booking again.

A book with it's cover that says, Sabrina Ghayour, Bazaar, Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes.
Food and Drink
Let me rave about a new cook book I've got - Sabrina Ghayour's Bazaar. It's fabulous. When I first flicked through, I realised I'd be happy to eat almost every single recipe. (Not the sweetcorn one and not the one that was predominantly peas. But everything else looked delish.) I made a start last weekend with my halloumi and carrot balls, and pistachio and pomegranate studded goats cheese. Look at me being fancy! Then later in the week I had my first McPlant. Also fit. 

There is a serving bowl with fried balls of food sitting on a bed of rocket. Next to that, there's a smaller bowl filled with cheese that's been studded with pomegranate and pistacios, and next to that is a smaller tub of cracker bread. In the background there is a bottle of red wine and two small plates and butter knives.
My halloumi balls!
Out and About
What with the busyness of the business, I keep having to drop things off at post offices and post boxes before last pick up. That feels like my overriding memory of the week. In other admin-related trips, I've done a couple of airport runs to Manchester - one at 3.15am! - for my brother's work jolly. From what he says, it was definitely better dropping off than having to queue for hours, so that's a win. Sort of. (It would have been more of a win if he'd got a taxi). And then I went to Aintree Costa in the week, completely forgetting it was the races, and people-watched the chauffeurs, police, and security guards getting their coffees. Fun times.

Let's hope the weather is exactly how you want it to be - I'm all for a stiff breeze and a bright sky in lieu of my much loved but errant snow - and your days are filled with whatever you'd like. Fun? Friends? Family rows because everyone's at home and sick of each other? Once again, insert your own description of choice.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment