Monday 14 March 2022

Eurovision Entries, Cheddar Cheese, and Subtitled Sitcoms ...

Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor is saying, 'Doesn't time fly when you don't have all the answers'.
Ah, that'll be it.
This year's running away from us. Right? It's broken free of its reins and galloped off into the sunset. I'm currently enjoying my third period of 2022 but it was Christmas five minutes ago. Ridiculous. If nothing else, that casual mention of my menstrual cycle should sharpen minds and stiffen resolve. Don't forget to stop and smell the flowers. Or something. Look, I would NEVER smell flowers. Not with my sensitive nasal passages. But whatever's your equivalent of taking stock and having a minute, best do that now and then, yeah? It'll be Michaelmas before we know it!

A newsreader is emphatically bashing the keyboard with her hands with an angry look on her face.
An artist's impression of my week.
Writing News
Good news! (For me. You crack on as you were.) Last week's pulling teeth feeling finally drifted away, and tippy tappy typing has commenced at full whack. It's no great secret to suggest that perseverance is the key. Who knew? Everyone! But different writers have different methods. Sometimes going for a walk and having a break is what's needed to shift a mental block. Other times - and this is what worked last week - refusing to move from my desk until I'd written anything, forced me to push out some sentences. There are only so many crosswords, wordles, Sporcle quizzes, and tweets before you're bored stiff of putting off the inevitable. Open up the WIP, and crack on. Maybe next time a brisk walk will help. This time, I had to force the issue. Horses for courses, blah, blah, blah. Either way, the writing's back on track once more. 

Culture
It's a right mixed bag this week. First of all, here's the UK's 2022 Eurovision entry. I won't lie, I'm a big fan. Of course we've got to get beyond everyone's low expectation, and of course we've got to contend with the lacklustre efforts we usually put into the production of the thing, but... but... but? I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful the jury votes will recognise Space Man as a decent effort and their votes will shift us off last place. 
 
Photo of Volodymyr Zelenskyy on a bike, in a suit, holding a briefcase, appearing confused.
In further European entertainment news, I've been watching the Ukrainian sitcom, Servant of the People. Yep, the one from 2015 where Volodymyr Zelenskyy plays a History teacher suddenly elected President of Ukraine. Apart from the hugely surreal nature of watching the now real President play the role, it's pretty good, clunky subtitles aside. Will I watch all three seasons? Possibly not. But next time I want something funny for half an hour, I'll happily dip back in. As humorous as it is, however, watching it in 2022 comes with a big fat side order of pathos. 

And finally in Culture news, I've completed my Big Screen Godfather Trilogy experience. Don't hate me, but I really like the third film. Yeah, I know. Controversial.

Half eaten portion of mushroom, leek, and vintage cheddar tart, covered in rocket.
The original. The home made
attempt was not snapped for
 posterity.
Food and Drink
After a meal at The Cosy Club in Liverpool, I did my utmost to replicate their mushroom, leek, and vintage cheddar tart. I, 100%, did not do it justice, but as the old saying goes, any mushroom, leek, and vintage cheddar tart is better than no mushroom, leek and vintage cheddar tart. 

Out and About
Every year, March is the busiest month in my calendar. Without exception. This year's no different, and feels crazier than normal. Maybe because - and I know I've mentioned this before - my last two birthdays were in lockdown. So now it seems I'll be able to celebrate the ageing process, I've gone big. When the big FOUR FOUR* hits in a couple of weeks, I've got multiple plans locked in. Right now, however, I'm conserving energy. I can't gad about as energetically as I could. Not without a bit of hibernation first. But once that's done, watch out world!

Have a lovely week, folks. 

*Forty four, full of allure!
Forty four, let's hear your roar!
Forty four, let's have some more!
Forty four, what inner core?
Forty four, time to explore!
Forty four, no time to snore!
Forty four, better than before!

I could go on...

No comments:

Post a Comment