Monday 30 November 2020

Zooming into Christmas

Any excuse to post
THE BEST MUSIC VIDEO EVER.


We've finally done it. We've had the conversation. The Bond family has tackled the thorny problem of Christmas. It wasn't too tricky in the end. The 'rule of three households' is pointless for an eight household shebang. Besides, having five days off virus-watch is stupid, and would mean old(ish) parents, front-line pharmacists, and school attendees mixing it up in a confined space. Forget CV, think of the nits! There's been a variety of chats, WhatsApp convos, and waiting for someone else to make a decision, but it's done. We're staying put. There will be no Bond convoy up the M6 this year, no Welsh visitors bothering the local Premier Inn, no crying babies early doors on the 27th. The eight households are sticking to their own parts of the country with the promise of a mofo Zoom chat on Boxing Day.*

Boxing Day will be exactly like this
but with tinsel.

I imagine this is similar for lots of people. The Zoom meeting, that is. When families can't be together on a special day, it makes sense to do it virtually. Indeed, many of us have been doing that regularly since March. It does put a lot of pressure on Zoom though. Thinking of my own family Zooms, they've recently dipped in quality. Their regular slot of a Sunday evening was ditched once the Strictly results show kicked in. Then we tried Friday at 6pm for a couple of weeks, but that appeared to when the niece and nephew hit Peak-Giddy. There was a lot of hysterical laughter and shrieking. And that was just me. Ba-dum tish. Anyway, a meaningful Christmas Zoom, that will replace the heart-warming glow of spending the best part of two days with each other, will be doing some heavy lifting. It might be worth planning ahead. Leaving it to chance would be a big risk. Especially if everyone's on a sugar high. (And by everyone I mean the niece, the nephew, and my thirty-five year old brother.) It's less than four weeks until the festive peak. Time to plan. Here, if you are interested, are some ideas for a titivated, elevated, Christmassy Zoom.

1. Quiz.

I know, I know. You're bored to death with quizzes. Quizzes are so first lockdown. Everyone hates a Zoom quiz, amiright? Well, maybe. But the joy of a quiz is that it's versatile. Sick of general knowledge? Ditch it. Write a round of questions about Christmas. Sick of Christmas? Ditch it. Write a round of questions about family holidays. Sick of family holidays? Ditch it. Write a round of... you get the gist, yeah? A quiz is what you make it. So make it.

Unlimited joy. Honest.

2. Scattergories

This is where the share screen button comes into its own. Simply click this link, and you'll be taken to an interactive Scattergories game. Everyone needs a pen and paper, you set the timer to whatever you want, and press start. Unlimited joy for hours. Or something. 

A completed wall. The trick is to 
find the four connections within
three minutes. Solid.

3. Only 
Connect 

If you've never watched the show, it doesn't matter. It's about finding connections in seemingly unrelated groups of things. I like making my own questions but there are online links to games too. Click here for examples of the connecting wall. These could be shared over Zoom, no mess. Or make your own family-based missing vowel round. Example. The category is FAMILY HOLIDAYS. Shout when you know it.

frnc

fly

cm brnc st

hlf x

Now, bearing in mind you've probably no idea where my family has holidayed over the years, did you get any? If you shouted France, Filey, Cambrian Coast, or Halifax at your screen, then we must be related. But do you get the gist? Think of some family-friendly categories, take out the vowels, and share the screen. A good time will be had by all.

Because I never delete anything
I've found some of the 'truths
and lies' from back then. 
AMUSING.

4. WILTY

This one takes commitment. Trust me, I know. Several years ago, when I had time on my hands, I organised a family Would I Lie To You evening. Prior to the day, all attendees provided me with a fact about themselves that no one else would know. I typed it onto a card then did the same with a lie about each person too. On the night, each player took a turn to read one of the cards about themselves, pretending they were telling the truth. In fact, there was a 50/50 chance they were not. The rest of the gang had to guess if it was true. Now look, I'll be honest. Just typing that has broken me out into a sweat. It was a lot of work, mostly having to think of plausible, funny, entertaining lies for everyone, that they could attempt to sell under pressure. I was only reminded of it the other day when my little brother suggested I repeat the experience. (I said I was busy, although he did provide inspiration for this post. Helpful.) But this is 2020. Some of us have excessive time on our hands. Organising a Christmas WILTY Zoom might be exactly what you need to fill your days. It could be ideal. And if I remember rightly, it was a drunken night of laughter. Or maybe that was just me when it was over. Who can say.

So there's four ideas for you. Take them as they are, or use them as a jumping off point for your own Zoom madness. The final word on the matter is wine. If you abstain, crack on and continue to do so. Fair play to you. But if you consider yourself either a light, sporadic, or habitual drinker, I can only advise you to crack open something strong. It will make whatever online, festive nonsense you find yourself in, all the merrier. Trust me.

Have a lovely week, folks.

 

*I've said it before, but I'll repeat. Boxing Day is THE day in my family. Christmas Day is merely the warm up. Not seeing anyone on Christmas Day is going to be lovely. PJs all day, cheese, red wine, chocolate, and films. I can't wait. It's Boxing Day that's going to take a mental oomph to fill. I will mange gamely, but that's the big one. That'll be the Zoom day.

No comments:

Post a Comment