Monday 20 January 2020

Where to Begin Next...

Lolz. It isn't. It just takes work.
The skive is over. The routine is back. I'm out of bed, I've a complete draft of Book Three printed off in front of me, and it's time to make it read like the quality literature that it probably is deep down. But how exactly am I going to do that? 

Good question. How exactly indeed. Well, one thing I can say with confidence right now is that I'm aware of the limitations of the story so far. The plot might unfold the way I had planned, and the characters might drag themselves from A to Z in the way I'd envisaged, but - and it's a big but - it's not very pretty. The reader doesn't trip lightly through the story. They will, but they don't yet. It's clunky and heavy-handed and obvious and dull. Last week, a friend asked me about the book writing (she knew it was a continuation of Carry the Beautiful) and said, 'Does your character still have something to say?' I thought for a second and answered honestly. 'She does. But I don't think she's said it in the first draft.'

So here we are. Time to rip up that first draft and start again. Time to make sure Tilda, Bea and Stewart's journeys are worth the time it takes to read. 'Ripping it up and starting again' is a neat phrase but obviously won't be done literally. I have to have an actual plan for what comes next. What will I actually be doing over the ensuing months, day by day? Well, rather serendipitously, I had a mail out from Jericho Writers last week. They are a writing support group that has a weekly newsletter focusing on aspects of writing. (They're great and worth checking out if you're in need of writing support). Last week's email was about how to start editing your book. Spooky timing, right? Sometimes the emails are  - whilst always interesting - not necessarily relevant to where I'm up to. But not last week. No Ma'am. Last week's was bang on with what I needed to read. So, what wisdom did they impart? Was it any different to the vague plan I already had? Did they throw me an editing curve ball and force me to rethink everything I have learnt about what comes next? Well, no. Not really. It was reassuringly along the lines of what I'd been planning. Let me share my plans as well as the Jericho Writers' suggestions so you can compare.


Screen shot from Jericho Writers
mail out from Sarah J, on 14.1.20 
Nicky's Editing Next Steps

1. Read through from start to end. Make a summary of each chapter along the way. What works? What needs beefing up or changing? 

2. Does the story keep moving? Is the plot predictable? Is there enough suspense or engagement to keep turning the page?  Map out the chapter order (and change it where needed) on the wall.

3. Do the characters' journeys make sense? Do they all move on? Is there a sense of closure for each of them?

See, almost exactly the same. It was hugely reassuring to see my plans for the foreseeable future were in tune with people who aren't winging it every minute. Even more reassuring is that this feeling of 'ripping it up and starting again' is perfectly normal. This is the third novel I've written. I've felt the same way at this stage every time. I recognise the feeling of being overwhelmed with its problems. That's just part of it. The next stage is to systematically eradicate them.

I've already bought a new notebook, postcards and markers. I've got a blank wall ready to Blu Tack chapter summaries onto, in a variety of pretty patterns. I've even got a new writing area from which to work; I might share that with you at a later date. It's all coming together. That in itself is a reassuring feeling.

But now I've procrastinated enough. Christmas is most definitely over and I've got work to do. If I can whip this up into a readable, shareable shape by the summer, I'll be happy. That's when the beta reader stage will kick in. Until then, I shall be 'ripping up and rewriting' all the day is long.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment