Monday 12 November 2018

A Preview About Pre-Ordering...

No. This was defo not taken
on Bommy Night. This
is just the universe celebrating
my achievements this week.
I have news! In the drawn-out and (seemingly) never-ending period of time between finishing my book's first draft and seeing it published, stuff has happened. I am now done with editing. Huzzah and hurrah!

This is a bold claim, considering I'll continue to play Spot the Mistake for a while yet, but I've drawn a line. A few days ago I uploaded my manuscript to the publishing company (Ingram Spark) and it was accepted. That means, as far as the automated formatting checks go, it's all good. On top of that, the front cover passed its checks too. It's all kicking off!

Because I've done this before, I know the process still has some way to go. Over the next couple of weeks I need to...
  • Proof read an e-copy of the final paperback version
  • Spot mistakes and change them online
  • Order a proof copy of the paperback
  • Swoon at holding it in my hands for five seconds
  • Proof read the physical copy
  • Spot more mistakes and change them online
  • Repeat the process with the final version of the e-book
  • Drink 
Like I say, I know the process. I've done it before. There WILL be wine.

One of several stomach churning
moments of the whole process.
Will it be accepted, or are
there technical issues I have
to deal with? Happily, it passed!
It isn't all the same, though. I learnt quite a lot from my first bash at indie-publishing. I know what to do differently this time. And that's what the next few months will focus on. To put it simply, I need all the pre-orders I can get.

Last time, I had no clue about any of this. I just picked a random date for publication, tweeted about it a bit, and then sat back and watched what happened. Some people pre-ordered it, some people waited for the release date, and then -  in dribs and drabs - some more people got on board. But now I know the score. All marketing efforts need to be channelled into release week. And all pre-orders get counted as purchases on release week. So I have a window of time - from when the book is available for pre-order, to when it actually comes out next year - to get everyone signed up with a planned purchase. The more the merrier. Because the more orders there are, the more likely the algorithms that control the world will notice my little book. With a release-day surge, there will be more chance it gets bumped up the chain of command and be promoted by your online retailer of choice. Last time I knew nothing of this. This time, I'm trying to be savvier.

The other thing I've learnt is the importance of reviews. Seeing a review is the BEST feeling. Even bad ones. (Although all my reviews last time were lovely!) Knowing someone has read the book I've written is ace. But even if they don't like it, they've left a review which  - once again - all counts at making the Internet-powers-that-be take notice. I've read conflicting reports. One site said you need twenty reviews for the algorithms to kick in. Another said fifty. I will aim for somewhere in between. I know that since learning this, I've started to leave my own reviews of books I've enjoyed. Especially when they're indie-published or new authors. I know how important it is.

The most recent book I've reviewed. It's ace. Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
So, there we are. I've updated you on where I'm up to, and I've begun the begging process surrounding reviews and pre-orders. I now have a week of hardcore proof reading to do. With wine. So, relax and enjoy the next seven days. Because very soon I'll be pestering you silly with pre-order pleas and images of my smiling face holding Leeza McAuliffe Has Something To Say. Don't say you weren't warned.

Have a lovely week, folks.



No comments:

Post a Comment