Monday 13 August 2018

Outdoor Theatre and a Marksies Picnic...

What's that? You want me to tell you about my love of Shakespeare? Well if you insist, of course I will. Get yourself a cuppa and pull up a chair.

Doing what I do best.
The thing with Shakespeare is, even if you watch for pleasure, it’s easy to have no clue what’s going on. When I see a production, it’s because it’s a play I've studied. I’ve seen multiple versions of The Merchant of Venice, Hamlet or A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but never once got through a reading or viewing of Corialanus - to name one of many of which I have no knowledge.

But occasionally, something happens that means I must embrace the new. A must-see production is being raved about, and despite having no idea of plots, themes or characters, I suck it up and get on board. A recent example is Ben Whishaw and David Morrissey’s Julius Caesar from the Bridge Theatre in March*. I knew nothing of the story, but it didn’t matter. The Trumpian setting, power-fuelled corruption, and excellent performances made it clear and accessible. It was great, and I didn’t need a two year period of study to get the gist. 

Knowsley Hall
Even more recently, this happened with The Tempest. I got tickets for my birthday, for an outdoor production in Knowsley Hall (recently featured in Lee Mack’s WDYTYA**) and not a million miles away from my gaff. My only knowledge of The Tempest was the inclusion of a passage in the 1994 English Literature GSCE Anthology. (Anyone? Bueller?) The extract was dialogue between Caliban and someone else, ending with the line, ‘…learning me you language.’ I’ve resisted googling this to see if it’s correct. It doesn’t matter if it is or not. I can’t really remember what it was about. Caliban was miffed he'd been taught language that wasn’t his, or something. Apart from this dimly-lit insight, I knew nothing of the play (apart from the fact it included a storm) and hoped it wouldn’t matter.
It's Caliban and
Prospero, of course!

And it turns out, it didn’t. I mean, sure, there were bits I was unclear on. And I don’t think I could have written a detailed synopsis after seeing it once. But that’s the thing about Shakespeare, or any theatre really. It’s immediate and visceral. It’s to be experienced. Being able to recount it afterwards is pointless. Feeling it is the buzz. The outdoor setting ramped up the sensory experience, and it didn't hurt the elemental nature of the story that as the evening wore on, it got blowy and chilly. It could only have been more perfect if it'd thundered.

The Lord Chamberlain's Men
The Tempest 2018
Alongside the drama, and for an added thrill, I got to have birthday champagne and a Marksies picnic in the grounds of a big posh house. All very Midsomer Murders. I kept an eye out for Joyce Barnaby volunteering on a tea urn, whilst Tom dealt with the suspicious death of a groundskeeper. Neither were there. But regardless, it was a marvellous event and a lovely evening. I'm glad I embraced the new. And for added authenticity, it even rained a bit, too. 

Have a lovely week, folks.

*I saw it at Cineworld as part of the NT Live event. But the real deal was in London.

**Who Do You Think You Are? As if you hadn't worked that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment